Dear Tumbleweed users and hackers,
This week we finally could add the long awaited Qt 5.6 to Tumbleweed. It was blocked for a long time as it exposed a bug in, what showed, icewm (the window manager used during installation). This bug though is so deeply nested in the architecture of icewm, that in the end, it was decided to workaround the bug with a ‘fix’ in YaST directly.
During this week, there were 4 snapshots published (0514, 0516, 0517 & 0519).
The most notable changes were:
- Qt 5.6 – as mentioned in the intro
- KDE Framework 5.22.0
- Plasma 5.6.4
- GNOME 3.20.2 – packages were spread over a longer period to get you fixes as early as possible
The season of ‘larger’ changes has started – and we now have in Staging:
- GCC6 as default compiler for our distribution
- Perl 5.24.0 – It would not be perl if nothing would break
- KDE Applications 16.04.1 – Shaping up, mostly legal reviews pending
- Linux kernel 4.6
Have a great time and use every moment to have a lot of fun